Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Two somehow managed Amazon Reviews for Too Late to Call Texas

5.0 out of 5 stars Macbeth Meets Reservoir Dogs

What? Likening this upstart's work to Shakespeare and Tarentino? Has the reviewer lost his mind? Those are two separate questions, to which I answer: 1) Yep, and: 2) ...well, yes, but not in relation to Too Late To Call Texas.

I'm not a spoiler-type reviewer, so I won't give many details, but just let me say this: Not since Jack Bauer have so many characters been in so much danger. The body count is high, the feel-good quotient low. But this is what Zelazny seems to know and do best, which is to deny us relief, shun our pleas for leniency. If you're looking for sunshine and roses look elsewhere. On the other hand, if you like tragedy (Shakespeare) and ugly, in-your-face grit (Tarentino), then look no further. Zelazny knows this territory, maybe too well. And he's not afraid to grab the reader by the scruff of the neck and say, "Pay attention, this is what despair feels like; what it looks, and smells and tastes like."

I find all of this immensely refreshing. We are being told and shown the truth. I don't know the man, so I am going out on a limb in saying Zelazny is not slanting for any particular market, he is stilling some very aggressive personal demons. If I ever get to meet him, I'd like to talk with him long over coffee and beg him never to stop writing. At least until the demons have had their say.

I've raved about Trent Zelazny before, and this latest work only proved my previous rants. This boy can write. You should be reading his work. 
 
 
5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read! 

This is my first time reading Trent Zelazny, and I was surprised. The book is well-paced with action, mystery, and suspense. The book is a well-written ride into a dark situation, and gives the reader insight into the hearts of the characters. I am now a fan of Zelazny's work, and want to read more of his books.
 

1 comment:

  1. Ask them how they managed it because I want to put mine up and Amazon seems to be thwarting my efforts!! lol

    ReplyDelete