Friday, March 23, 2012

A quick little rant

Okay, I just feel I need to get this off of my chest, and I think a simple post on Facebook would do nothing more than make me look like a complete and utter douche. So, instead, I've decided to be a complete and utter douche here.

There are people I very much enjoy, both online and in actual physical form, but who have the drawback (for want of a better word) of being pretentious and/or threatened when I get a book published. I see and hear backhanded compliments and so forth, and several implications, so I would just like to say that I don't self-publish my work. How a publisher, whether small, medium, or large, chooses to print their books is none of my business. I guess I wouldn't really know about the large presses, as I've only published in small press and mid-list press, but I assume I would have even less say.

I did self-publish one (1) thing on kindle, which was Fractal Despondency. If you saw it back in the day, the cover was some indecipherable gobbledygook until it "got a raise" with a small publisher, at which point it got a much nicer cover.

I'm saying all of this simply because I'm tired of backhanded and patronizing comments. Sorry if I sound like a douche anyway, but I've worked hard to get where I am, I'm proud of where I am, and I get little raises in one way or another every so often. If busting my ass and sacrificing mostly what passes for a normal life in order to do what I do threatens you, it's your problem, not mine.

Rant over.

1 comment:

  1. Let your work speak for itself. As for those who would talk down about an author who publishes through small press or (gasp) self-publishes, I say they can stick it where the sun doesn't shine. There are many talented writers who don't publish through large press--so many that I dedicate many hours out of each week to read and review small press and Indy authors. And while I have six novels through small press, all of my Leigh M. Lane books are self-pubs....

    ReplyDelete